The National Register of Psychotherapists and Counsellors was founded in 2011 and is a companion organisation to the highly respected Association for Professional Hypnosis and Psychotherapy (www.aphp.co.uk)
We are a professional member organisation who work for the purpouse of maintaining professional standards within the Counselling and Psychotherapy industry, globally. We also help the general public find safe and well trained therapists.
We have members from all over the world, and we provide regular CPD because we know this is important so that our members are kept up to date with latest methods of practice.
It is not simply a register of psychotherapists and counsellors that anybody can join. All of our members are:
- Required to show full details of their training and further education in the field of psychotherapy and counselling
- Must be able to show a high level of competence in their craft before they can be registered with us
- Are subject to annual review
- Must demonstrate adherence to a strict code of ethics
- Must carry full professional indemnity insurance specifically for psychotherapy and counselling activities
In addition, our members are committed to Continuing Professional Development in order to maintain awareness of, and competence in, the latest techniques and methodologies available to provide expert care for their clients.
You can find out more about our practitioners in Find a Practitioner.
Variety of Work Methods
Our members are qualified and competent in their chosen area of expertise and you are encouraged to match your needs with their skills. As an individual may have more skills than are documented on this site, it is recommended that you contact them to clarify any queries you may have.
Most therapists have more than one skill at their disposal and it's always a good idea to speak to several in your area to see who you feel is most likely to provide the help you are looking for. Many pracitioners offer a free assessment session, allowing you to discuss you difficulties without any obligation to embark on a course of therapy or counselling.
Psychotherapy or Counselling
Psychotherapy and counselling are both 'talking therapies'. They both involve you talking to the practitioner, and involve helping you to discover and use your own resources to resolve your issues in the most effective way possible.
All NRPC practitioners have been properly vetted before we list them on the website, so you can be certain that they are qualified, competent, insured, supervised, and abide by a strict code of ethics.
Here is a brief list of some of the more well-known therapies, with a short descriptions of each:
- CBT: One of the better-known, this is designed to help you change the way you view your thoughts.
- Meridian:Not really counselling, Meridian therapies (energy therapies) often use tapping on acupunture points.
- EFT & TFT Emotional Freedom Technique and Thought Field Therapy: both these are Meridian Therapies.
- Solution Focussed: As the name implies, this seeks the solution for the problem rather than working with the cause.
- Client-centred: Most therapies are client-centered, meaning that the therapy is desiged around your peronality.
- EMDR: This stands for 'Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprogramming' and is excellent fr working with trauma.
- Psychodynamic Counselling: This looks at the ways in which we relate - or not - to others around us.
- Hypnotherapy: Strictly not psychotherapy, though many psychotherapists and counsellors use it effectively.
- BWRT®: 'BrainWorking Recursive Therapy® is very new and can be spectacularly fast in resolving problems.